North Sydney Oval is located in the south-west corner of St Leonards Park at the intersection of Miller and Ridge Streets.

The first cricket pitch was laid on 6 December 1867, making it one of the oldest cricket grounds in Australia.

The first structure built in 1879 was a simple pavilion overlooking the cricket ground. This was replaced by another pavilion which in turn was replaced by the Duncan Thompson Stand in 1929. At the time it was the largest suburban grandstand in the State.

The Oval had its first major renovation in 1931, with Alderman Blue claiming that the pitch was 'like concrete' and serious injury, even death could occur if something wasn't done. In 1935 the timber fence was replaced by a high brick wall and a concrete terrace seating 1200 people was built.

Usage rates continued to increase and by 1976 North Sydney Oval was hosting seven full football matches each weekend from three different codes - Rugby League, Rugby Union and Australian Rules as well as the occasional game of soccer!

The ground still bore the 'concrete' tag until the late 1980s when drainage and irrigation systems were installed and the pitch was re-layed.

In 1992 the Oval won a prestigious award for "Ground of the Year".

Are you responsible for North Sydney Oval? Claim it

Advertise with Eventfinda